The importance of good attendance and punctuality can not be over-emphasised. Over the last three years Dunston Hill Community Primary School is proud to announce that we have seen a significant rise in the number of children achieving 100% attendance.
For the academic year 2016-17 our overall school attendance was 96.7% (national was 96.0%). This is a superb achievement and testament to the close working relationship between home and school.
Attend and Achieve!
- If a school can improve attendance by 1%, they will see a 5-6% improvement in attainment (Department for Education).
- Please help us and your child by ensuring their attendance remains above 95%, allowing them to achieve their full potential.
Rewards in School
- On a termly basis we award certificates for good attendance in our celebration assemblies.
Last academic year children who had achieved 100% attendance were rewarded with a visit to the local cinema in recognition of their accomplishment.
What can I do as a parent to increase my child’s attendance?
- Phone us as soon as possible to tell us why your child is absent, and when you expect them to return. Putting the school number in your phone can save you time. Know the school routine for alerting you to absence.
- Only grant days at home for genuine illness. (You will know!!)
- Avoid taking holidays in school time.
- Know routines of the school day to avoid issues, e.g. have they got their PE kit?
Other tips to help secure good attendance
- Talk to us to resolve issues. We may be able to help and support you and your child. You are not alone.
- Help them catch up with missed work, a missed day doesn’t mean missed work.
- Remember PRAISE for good attendance.